How to use the Alpha-Stim AID
Watch these how-to videos for training on using the Alpha-Stim AID. If you have questions about how to use your device, free clinical support is available Monday through Friday from 8a-5p CST at 1-800-FOR-PAIN.
If you are a licensed healthcare practitioner and would like to attend a CES and MET education webinar with Steve Haltiwanger, MD, Chief Medical Officer, click here.
Instructions for use
Cranial electrotherapy stimulation to treat anxiety, insomnia or depression with Alpha-Stim earclip electrodes:
- Clean ear lobes with mild soap and water, alcohol pads or antibacterial wipes and allow skin to dry. Areas where skin oils or dirt have accumulated, or where cosmetics or hair spray have been used must be thoroughly cleaned to ensure adequate conductivity. Monitor skin condition prior to and after treatment. Skin irritation may develop in light skin. If skin burns are noted following treatment, discontinue use and apply an appropriate skin cream. Varying Earclip locations around the ear lobe may minimize irritation.
- Plug dual connector end of Earclip wires into jack on left side of the Alpha-Stim AID.
- Remove and discard old Earclip Electrode Pads (EEPS) if present. Remove old glue residue, clean and dry Earclips and attach 4 new EEPS. Note that EEP case opens with label on bottom.
- Saturate 4 new Earclip Electrode Pads (EEPS) thoroughly with several drops of conducting solution while on Earclip electrodes.
- Press Power on.
- Mute the audio, if desired, with the key sequence: Lock-Timer-Lock. To reinstate the audio alerts press the same key sequence again.
- Set Timer. 20 minutes is usually enough time if the current is set to at least 250 μA. 40 minutes to 1 hour is recommended if the current is at or below 200 μA.
- Squeeze Earclips and apply one to each ear lobe.
- Current defaults to 1 (100 μA) when the Alpha-Stim AID is turned on. Increase Current slowly (5 is the highest setting) until a slight vertigo is experienced (a dizzy feeling, similar to the sensation of rocking on a boat), then decrease immediately until the dizziness stops. Also decrease immediately if the normal tapping sensation felt on the ear lobes is uncomfortable. For people who have a history of experiencing vertigo such as motion sickness, treat at a subsensory current setting of 1 (100 μA) for one hour or more to prevent residual vertigo after treatment. The tolerable current level will be determined by the subjective feeling of vertigo which should subside immediately upon reducing the current. The current should always be reduced just below the level that causes vertigo.
- Press Lock twice to lock settings, if desired. Press Lock twice again to unlock and change settings, if necessary.
- Relax, if possible, during the treatment. It is best to sit quietly or lie down although it is also possible to read, work at a desk or watch television during treatment. Do not attempt to drive or operate any dangerous tools or machinery during treatment.
- Power will turn off automatically at the conclusion of the timed cycle.
- Always complete a CES session. When the timed session ends, and a “heavy” feeling is still experienced, resume treatment until at least 2 minutes after the heaviness lifts and a light feeling develops. Failure to do this can result in disorientation that can last for hours to days. Some people benefit the most from several hours of treatment in a given treatment session.
- Remove and discard EEPS. Clean and dry Earclips and replace 4 EEPS for the next treatment, if desired. EEP case opens with label on bottom.
- Store Alpha-Stim AID away from children.
- CES may be used as often as necessary but for most people it is best to treat between once a day and twice a week. Results usually improve and last longer with additional treatments.
What to expect
While the Alpha-Stim AID is significantly effective when it is used correctly for 9 out of 10 people who use it, it will not work for everyone. If the Alpha-Stim AID is not working well for you contact your health care practitioner, your local authorized Alpha-Stim distributor or EPI for technical support. Anxiety reduction is usually experienced during a single treatment, but may be experienced hours after treatment.
Insomnia is usually improved after the initial treatment but may take 3 weeks. Most people can use it at bedtime and when awakened during the night. However, some people find they must conduct their 20 – 60 minute Alpha-Stim CES treatment at least 3 hours before going to bed because a CES treatment may interfere with sleep. It may also be used in the morning to promote better sleeping at night.
Depression typically takes 3 weeks or more of daily treatment to experience significant improvement, but may take considerably longer. After the condition is under control, use of Alpha-Stim 2 – 3 times per week or less is usually sufficient to maintain good results.
Following treatment, there are usually no physical limitations imposed so most users can resume normal activities immediately. Some users may have a response that may affect their ability to perform potentially hazardous tasks, such as operating a motor vehicle or heavy machinery for up to several hours after treatment.
At present, there are over 150 research studies on using Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation in humans and more than 30 animal studies. No significant lasting side effects have been reported. Occasional headache, discomfort or skin irritation under the electrodes or lightheadedness may occur. If a heavy feeling occurs, continue treatment until at least 2 minutes after it gives way to a light feeling. These are all mild, self-limiting reactions.
Clinical & technical support
We offer free technical and clinical support for our customers and healthcare practitioners.
Email email@example.com or give us a call from 8 am – 5 pm CST at:
- 1-800-FOR-PAIN inside the U.S.
- + 940-328-0788 outside of the U.S.